Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Homework assignment #2


One of the influences on my work is Alexander Calder. Altho fascinated by his huge mobiles and stabiles (DC is fortunate to have excellent examples of both), the work I find the most intriguing is his work in wire. The portraits he did in wire manage to capture the essence of the faces and characters he portrayed. He is reported to always have had wire and pliers with him so much of this work was spontaneous and has a very immediate and genuine appeal.
My example was also influenced by Paul Klee's Senecio, but the wire wrapping and the movement in the eyes is thanks to Calder.
I'll also bring some earrings to class that reflect the inspiration of Calder's mobiles.
There is a humor in his work that I enjoy immensely. When I see some prize winners or outrageously expensive pieces, I often feel that more jewelry could benefit from a lighter, less self-conscious approach. Jewelry does take time & effort and is often made from precious materials but a smile is great reward for a piece that has something amusing about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment